Thursday, May 28, 2015

Happy Anniversary

Today marks exactly one year since I started For God's Glory. In this year I have more than doubled my readership, however, that may sound more impressive that it actually is. But to those who have been faithful through the year and to those who have joined me during this past year, I thank you!

Not only did my blog turn a year old this year, I also turned 45 years old, which means that I am only five years short of being a half-century old.  That doesn't bother me nearly as much as the fact that just a few weeks ago I registered my daughter for her first year in high school!  She will turn 15 later this year and is already talking about driving! My son turns double-digits this year as well.

Why are we so consumed with the concept of time? It's because we are finite: limited. We know our days are numbered, but we don't know what that number is. So, we keep track of all our events based on time. Some of us worry about time and some just take it day by day. Some of us value time and some waste it away.

We are finite, but God is infinite. I think this is the perspective of which we seem to lose sight fairly easily. Understanding and remembering that God is infinite means that we don't need to worry about tomorrow:
25 "For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life...27 "And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life?...33 "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. 34 "So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. (Matthew 6:25-34, also Luke 12:22-34)
God knows where we are and what we need and when we need it. He has made everything and loves you and will take care of you. So don't worry about the time that is passing, but use the time that He gives you wisely:
11 Do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them; 12 for it is disgraceful even to speak of the things which are done by them in secret. 13 But all things become visible when they are exposed by the light, for everything that becomes visible is light. 14 For this reason it says, "Awake, sleeper, And arise from the dead, And Christ will shine on you." 15 Therefore be careful * how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, 16 making the most of your time, because the days are evil. (Ephesians 5:11-16)
Jesus also spoke in this regard:
16 And He told them a parable, saying, "The land of a rich man was very productive. 17 "And he began reasoning to himself, saying, 'What shall I do, since I have no place to store my crops?' 18 "Then he said, 'This is what I will do: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. 19 'And I will say to my soul, "Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years to come; take your ease, eat, drink and be merry."' 20 "But God said to him, 'You fool! This very night your soul is required of you; and now who will own what you have prepared?' 21 "So is the man who stores up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God." (Luke 12:16-21)

There are only two circumstances under which we are instructed to be concerned about time. One is for those who have not accepted the gift of salvation from God. They must be concerned because we do not know how much time we have left before God begins judging the world. He is delaying for you, but no one knows for how long. The second is for those who know Christ, that we will exercise urgency regarding the sharing of the good news of salvation with those who will perish without Christ.
 3 Know this first of all, that in the last days mockers will come with their mocking, following after their own lusts, 4 and saying, "Where is the promise of His coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all continues just as it was from the beginning of creation." 5 For when they maintain this, it escapes their notice that by the word of God the heavens existed long ago and the earth was formed out of water and by water, 6 through which the world at that time was destroyed, being flooded with water. 7 But by His word the present heavens and earth are being reserved for fire, kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men. 8 But do not let this one fact escape your notice, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years like one day. 9 The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.  10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be burned up. 11 Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, what sort of people ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, 12 looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be destroyed by burning, and the elements will melt with intense heat! (2 Peter 3:3-12)
If you have not accepted the gift of salvation, I want you to know that it is a gift that has been paid in full. The reason it had to be purchased was because you and I and all the people who have ever lived, have sinned against God by disobeying His commands. God is perfect and therefore demands perfect living. However, we are incapable of being perfect and so we can never be right with God in our own power. But because God loves us, He paid the penalty Himself by sending His Son to die on the cross for our sins. He paid our debt.

He then proved that His payment was sufficient by rising from the dead on the third day after His crucifixion. He has proven that not only does He have power over His own death, but yours as well. He now is offering the gift to you. All you have to do is believe that it is yours and receive it from Him. Then commit your life to Him. Let Him be the boss of your life. Let Him direct your decisions/choices by reading the Bible and doing what it says. Find a church to attend so you can learn more about how to study His Bible and apply it to your life and then share it with others.

If you need help understanding any of this, please leave me a comment and I will be glad to get with you. I hope that today will be the beginning of another birthday for you to celebrate. This is why I started this blog a year ago. I want to help those who don't know Christ to know Him and I want those who know Christ to grow in their understanding. I have been serving Christ for 35 years now and I haven't managed perfection at any time. However, I look forward to the day that He will perfect me and take me up to heaven. Meanwhile, I am going to learn all about Him that I can and serve Him with all that is in me by His power that lives in me!

For God's Glory,
Chris S. Sweet

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments. Please leave them below.